Certain government regulatory bodies have been created to ensure companies and businesses follow specific guidelines to ensure the safety of employees and those who frequent areas and locations where regulatory requirements are needed. As it concerns exit signs, the following requirements and regulations have been set in place because they have been deemed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA, as absolutely necessary to maximize safety.
1. The lighting and marking of exit signs must be adequate and appropriate.
2. Each exit route must be adequately lighted so that an employee with normal vision can see along the exit route.
3. Each exit must be clearly visible and marked by a sign reading “Exit.”
4. Each exit door must be free of decorations or signs that obscure the visibility of the exit route door.
5. If the direction of travel to the exit, or the exit discharge is not immediately apparent, signs must be posted along the exit access indicating the direction of travel to the nearest exit and exit discharge. Additionally, the line of sight to an exit sign must clearly be visible at all times.
6. Each doorway or passage along an exit access that could be mistaken for an exit must be marked “Not an Exit,” or a similar designation. The doorway or passage can also be identified by a sign indicating its actual use—such as a closet, or instance.
7. Each exit sign must be illuminated to a surface value of at least five foot-candles (54 lux) by a reliable light source and be distinctive in color. Self-luminous or electroluminescent signs that have a minimum luminance surface value of at least .06 foot-lamberts (0.21 cd/m2) are permitted.
8. Each exit sign must have the word “Exit” in plainly legible letters, with the size being no less than six inches (15.2 cm) high, and the principal strokes of the letters in the word “Exit” no less than three-fourths of an inch (1.9 cm) wide.
GloBrite is OSHA compliant, and can assist in helping you become compliant as well. For questions regarding the requirements and regulations of exit signs, please call GloBrite today.